The Media Studies program has numerous labs and studios available for you to participate in hands-on learning.
- Media labs
You get access to industry-standard software for design and multimedia production.
- Media Cage
The Media Equipment Distribution Centre (or Media Cage) gives all Media Studies students exclusive access to a wide selection of video and photography production equipment. All the equipment you need to improve the quality of your work is on hand at the Media Cage.
- Multi-platform production facility
Opening in Fall 2014, the Multi-platform production facility is inspired by the industry's modern collaborative production facilities that promote creativity through the use of different multimedia technologies. Facility features include:
- A spacious soundstage that allows students to produce engaging content – from interactive panel discussions and current-events talk shows to digital media content for the web.
- Multi-camera video production driven by the NewTek Tricaster Live Multi-Camera Video and Streaming system, enabling students to create live productions both in studio and on location.
- New digital media technologies that allow students to seamlessly incorporate web content, social media, and live video chat into live productions.
- 27" Apple iMac workstations loaded with industry-leading, multimedia production and design software that provide students with the right tools to prepare, produce, and edit content.
- Photography studio
The photography studio supports the shooting of top-quality images such as portraits and advertising photographs for all Image Arts students. The professional studio contains movable black and white flats and various size cubes to allow each student to build their own custom shooting space. The studio is open early and late to allow students the flexibility to book industry models, athletes and entertainers for portfolio work.
Complete speedotron lighting kits, stands, booms, soft boxes, photogenic kits and other valuable photography equipment are readily available from the media cage for routine studio work.
- Print lab
Image Arts students can use the print lab (located in GH 317) to produce high-quality colour or black and white prints. The lab features:
- Two large-format Canon printers capable of producing prints up to 16x20 inches
- Computer stations equipped with the Adobe Creative Suite
- A colour-balanced viewing station for assessing prints
- A dry mount press
- A mat cutter
- Multiple paper cutters
To access the print lab, you must rent a key from the Media Cage.
- Edit labs
The expert University of Guelph-Humber video editing suites contain numerous Final Cut Pro stations complete with all the equipment to edit your High Definition video streams the same way the pros do.
- Art gallery
The Guelph-Humber Art Gallery attracts local and international artists and provides ideal space for art exhibitions of all mediums.
Image Arts students receive an opportunity once a year to display their work in this gallery.