Skip to main content

Graduation FAQs

Student shaking giving a hi-five to SwoopApplying to Graduate

Applying to Graduate

Q: What is the deadline to apply to graduate?

The online Application to Graduate will re-open on Monday, January 7, 2019 with a deadline of Friday, March 15, 2019. Any applications submitted past the deadline will be subject to a $60 processing fee. You can access the application from WebAdvisor. After Friday, March 15, 2019, all applications for graduation must be completed in-person using a paper application at Student Financial Services (GH 112).

Failure to complete this application will affect your ability to graduate

Q: What does Baccalaureate mean?

On the application to graduate, there is an option for your degree to read as Baccalaureate. This is the Latin term for Bachelor’s degree. These terms mean the same thing. When completing your Application to Graduate on WebAdvisor, please choose one as you would like it to appear on your degree.

Q: I have already submitted my application to graduate but I would like to change my Bachelor/Baccalaureate selection.

If you made a mistake and selected the wrong option, please send an email to with your request to change. Please include your name and Student ID in the email.

Q: What is my academic standing on graduation/how do I find my standing on graduation?

Your standing on graduation is determined by your cumulative average. To find your standing on graduation, log in to WebAdvisor to view your Academic Profile. From there, select Academic Program & Evaluation to review your Profile Sheet. This will clearly outline if you have completed your graduation requirements.

Standing on graduation is noted for graduates from the honours programs as follows:

  • Degree with Distinction: Cumulative average of 80% or higher.
  • Degree with Honours: Cumulative average of 70-79%.
  • Degree with Standing: Cumulative average of less than 70%.

For further questions about this, please contact your Academic Advisor.

Q: What does it mean to be placed on "Financial Sanction"?

Any graduating student who has an outstanding balance at the time of Convocation will be placed on Financial Sanction and will not be issued the official degree or diploma parchment at the Convocation ceremony. Parchments will be withheld until payment is made.

Q: If I am taking my last course(s) in the Summer, can I graduate in June?

If you are taking additional credit courses that are required to complete your degree in the Summer 2018 semester, you will NOT be eligible to graduate in June 2018. You will be eligible to graduate in November 2018.

Q: I’m taking a course at another institution by Letter of Permission. What is the deadline to have my transcripts sent to my Academic Advisor?

The deadline to submit your transcripts to your Academic Advisor is Friday, May 11, 2018.


Q: How will my name be displayed on the parchment?

Your name will be displayed exactly how it is shown on WebAdvisor. For example, if WebAdvisor shows your first, middle and last names, your parchments will reflect the same.

Before submitting your Application to Graduate, please ensure that your name is spelled correctly in WebAdvisor.

Q: Can I change the name that appears on my parchment?

Yes, please complete the Application to Graduate Change Request form and attach two pieces of government ID (i.e. citizenship card, driver’s license, and passport) that show the desired name.  Note that only legal names will be used.  The completed form can be dropped off at Student Financial Services located in GH112 or emailed to All changes must be made prior to May 3, 2018, in order for the request to be reflected on your parchments.

Q: Will my standing on graduation (Honours or Distinction) be noted on my parchment?

No; your standing on graduation will not show on your parchments. It will only show on your transcript documents.
At the Convocation ceremony, only those graduands whose standing is at the Honours and Distinction levels will be indicated in the programme; graduands whose standing is at the Distinction level will be announced.

Q: I declared an Area of Emphasis, where and how is that noted?

If your program supports the choice of an Area of Emphasis or Specialty, please complete a Declaration of Area of Emphasis form. The Area of Emphasis or Specialty will be noted on your transcripts.  For the Business and Justice Studies programs, your Humber parchment will also note your Area of Emphasis or Specialty.

Q: I would like to change the address or phone number on my record.

You can change your address and phone number information through WebAdvisor. The deadline to make changes to your mailing address in order to receive your parchment is May 3, 2018.

Q: Can I take courses after I graduate? If so, does it affect my GPA?

Yes; you can take courses as a Visiting Student following your graduation date. The grades you achieve in these courses will affect your cumulative GPA but it will not change your standing on graduation (Honours or Distinction).


Q: When will I find out what time my ceremony will take place?

Convocation ceremonies take place Monday, June 18, 2018, at the Pearson Convention Centre, 2638 Steeles Avenue E., Brampton, Ont. Ceremony times will be posted in May.

Q: If I am unable to attend Convocation, how do I receive my parchments?

Your parchments will be sent to you via mail following the Convocation proceedings, to the address we have on file for you. Make sure this is correct!

Q: I graduated and received my parchments in November 2017 and I wish to attend a Convocation ceremony.

If you graduated in fall and plan to attend, please send an email to with the subject heading FALL2017Grad and let us know you plan to attend.

Q: Do infants that will be attending the Convocation ceremony (but will be seated on an adult's lap) require an additional ticket?

Tickets are issued according to the number of seats available. If children require a seat, please be sure to have the appropriate number of tickets. If the child is able to share a seat with an adult, they do not require an additional ticket.

Q: How do I order my gown for Convocation?

Gowns and caps are ordered through a third-party company, Gaspard & Sons. To choose your gown size and place your order, you must register on Gaspard’s website:

Orders placed in the pre-order period (before June 1, 2018) will be charged a $30 rental fee. Those who do not pre-order a gown will be required to pay $40 rental fee on event day.  Please note, the caps are yours to keep, but the gowns must be returned at the end of the ceremony.

Q: Can I request to be assigned extra tickets?

If you would like to put your name on the extra ticket list please email graduate@guelphhumber with the subject line “Extra Ticket Request” before Tuesday, May 1st, 2018. Please include the following information:

  • Your full name
  •  Program
  • Student number
  • Phone number
  • Number of extra tickets required (Max 2)

IMPORTANT: Submitting a request does not guarantee you will receive additional tickets. While we understand that graduates want to share this day with as many loved ones as possible, we are bound by fire code regulations.

Any extra tickets available will be allocated randomly through an electronic process. Winners will be notified via email the week of June 12th. Only those receiving tickets will be notified.

You are strongly encouraged to speak with fellow graduates to see if they are using the tickets allocated to them. The ceremony will be broadcast live from the UofGH website for those unable to attend.

Q: How many tickets will each student receive?

Each graduate will receive two guest tickets. Tickets will be issued electronically to your University of Guelph-Humber email address in early June. Graduates do not require a ticket to attend

Q: Where can I get grad pictures taken?

The Studio Nostalgia photography team has been taking graduation portraits throughout the year. To book an appointment with the photographer, click here.

University of Guelph-Humber students are also able to have their graduation portraits taken at either the North or Lakeshore Humber College campuses. Please indicate that you are a student at the University of Guelph-Humber at the time of booking.

Composites of each program will also be produced. Be sure to indicate if you want your portrait included in your program’s composite during your appointment.

Q:  Who do I contact regarding accessibility requirements?

The Pearson Convention Centre is wheelchair accessible. A ramp is installed on stage to ensure accessibility for all students crossing the stage. Closed Captioning will be available for all ceremonies. If you would like to make special arrangements to ensure clear visibility of captioned text, please contact

If you require accessible seating for your guests or have other accessibility requirements, please indicate your requests by sending an email to

If you are a graduating student and have accessibility needs not mentioned above (eg. Braille or alternate format parchment/degree, attendant support for stage or seating navigation, etc.) for the Convocation ceremony, please contact us at Please indicate in as much detail as you can, your specific accommodation needs and identify your program and student number.