Research That Should Be Done Prior to Career Fair
Research is the key element to the networking process. Find out information about the company you are interested in by researching at least three or four of these questions:
- What does the organization do/provide?
- What products or services do they offer?
- How many people do they currently employ?
- What type of positions do they usually hire for?
- Who are the key people in the organization and what are their titles?
- Has the organization experienced any growth/expansion recently?
- Where is the organization’s headquarters located?
- Who are their major competitors?
Questions to ask the Employer during the Career Fair
Review the sample questions below and select two to four questions to ask each employer:
- How should I prepare for a job interview in this field?
- Who are the recognized leaders in this field?
- What professional societies or associations should I join?
- What positions within your organization are entry-level?
- Given my education and experience, what do you suggest my next step should be?
- What are the obstacles I may face in this job?
- Is there formal on-the-job training in this job?
- How can I best utilize the degree that I’ve obtained?
- What suggestions could you offer me about this field?
For more information on successful networking, see our section on Networking for Success