Skip to main content

Applying for OSAP

For more information on applying for OSAP

How to apply for OSAP

OSAP Overview
OSAP is available to eligible students in the form of an integrated student loan funded by the Province of Ontario and Government of Canada. These loans are interest-free until graduation or until you cease full-time studies; repayment begins six months later. OSAP's objective is to help students meet the costs of post-secondary education, including tuition, books, supplies and basic living expenses. OSAP is not intended to supply all the funding to meet these costs. Its purpose is to supplement, not to replace, the financial resources that you (and your family) are expected to contribute.

You can apply for OSAP online.

When you apply as a University of Guelph-Humber student, make sure you:

  • Select the University of Guelph-Guelph and Humber Campuses as your school.
  • Enter Toronto as the city and Humber as the campus
  • Select your program, ensuring the initials GH follow the program name. This lets OSAP staff know you're attending the University of Guelph-Humber.

OSAP Deadline Dates

Important dates and deadlines to ensure that your student loan arrives for the start of your school year.

OSAP Eligibility

Degree Eligibility

To be eligible for OSAP funding, students must be registered in a program that leads directly to a degree or diploma. Students registered in a non-degree program are not eligible to apply for OSAP funding. Under limited circumstances, some qualifying studies may be eligible for funding. Please contact Student Financial Services contact information and ask to book an appointment with an Advisor.

Course Load Requirements

Full-Time OSAP

You are eligible to apply for full-time OSAP assistance if you are enroll in at least 60% of a full course load (per term), or 40% of a full course load, if you are a student with a permanent disability.

Part-Time Students

Part-time OSAP is available to students who take less than 60% of a full course load. Students with a permanent disability, who are taking 40% of a full course load, have the choice of receiving full- or part-time OSAP funding.

OSAP Funding
Course Credits per Term Course Load OSAP Funding Available
2.0 or more credits 100% Full time
1.5 credits 60% Full time
1.0 credits 40% Part time, or full time for students with a permanent disability
0.5 credit 20% Part time

Course Load Changes

Changes in your course load can lead to changes in your OSAP funding. If you drop below the minimum requirements you will lose eligibility for your funding plus incur an OSAP academic penalty. Please contact Student Financial Services contact information and ask to book an appointment with an Advisor before you make any changes to your course load.

Withdrawal from Studies

If you withdraw from your studies, your OSAP funding will be affected, and you will be assessed with an OSAP academic penalty. If you withdrew because of illness, or family emergency, an appeal may be available. Please contact Student Financial Services contact information and ask to book an appointment with an Advisor before you make any changes.


Any refund of tuition or fees, up to the total value of OSAP received, must be returned to the National Student Loans Service Centre. This government regulation is outlined on the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA), and the signature/consent pages that students sign. All OSAP-funded students agree to these terms and conditions when they apply for OSAP.

Academic Progress

Full-Time OSAP

  • Students must successfully complete at least 60% of a full course load (1.5 credits each term) to maintain OSAP eligibility.
  • Students with a permanent disability must successfully complete 40% of a full course load (1.0 credits each term) to maintain OSAP eligibility. 
  • Failure to complete the required course load will result in OSAP academic probation or restriction

Part-Time OSAP

  • Students who receive part-time OSAP funding must successfully complete all funded courses

Please note: courses that are dropped without academic penalty at the University of Guelph-Humber are not considered to be successfully completed. Students must complete, and pass, the required course load to avoid OSAP academic penalties. Frequent program switches, and course drops or withdrawals may be considered lack of academic progress, and are subject to OSAP academic penalties. Please contact Student Financial Services contact information and ask to book an appointment with an Advisor to discuss your situation.

Residency Requirements

You must be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident of Canada, or a Protected Person. You also must meet Ontario residency requirements to apply for OSAP. For complete information on OSAP residency requirements, please visit the OSAP website, or contact Student Financial Services contact information and ask to book an appointment with an Advisor.

Not an Ontario Resident?

  • Apply to the government student financial aid program in your home province. Every province and territory in Canada offers a student financial aid program.

Questions About Citizenship:

Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for their online help centre and for information about IRCC offices.

Need Help?

For complete information on OSAP Loan Eligibility Requirements, please visit the OSAP website, or contact:

Student Financial Services:  416.798.1331 extension 6256, or email

Electronic confirmation of enrollment

Student Financial Services will electronically confirm that you are enrolled as a full-time student.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have fully registered in your courses for the Fall semester.

Paying your tuition with OSAP

The OSAP application gives you the option to allow the Ministry to use a portion of your OSAP funding to pay, on your behalf, your tuition and compulsory fees.

Whether or not you choose this option, it remains your responsibility to monitor your student account to ensure the University of Guelph-Humber receives payment for all fees owing on your account by the payment deadline date. If your OSAP does not cover the full cost of your tuition, you must pay the balance before the payment deadline.

Get information about fee payment, acceptable payment methods and deadlines

Update your income

You must update your income online before the release of your second instalment of OSAP. The Ministry will provide you with instructions on how and when to confirm your income.

If you do not confirm your income, the second instalment of your OSAP will not be released.

Note: Any change to income. including part-time jobs, may affect your OSAP entitlement. The University of Guelph-Humber will inform OSAP of any University of Guelph-Humber or University of Guelph scholarships or bursaries on your behalf.

Letter of Permission (LOP) courses

A Letter of Permission is required if a University of Guelph‐Humber student wishes to enrol in a course at another institution and have the course considered as a credit toward their University of Guelph‐Humber degree/diploma.

Once the course has been approved by your academic advisor and you have been registered, you must provide Student Financial Services the following two pieces of information:
1. A confirmation of your enrollment from the Registrar's Office indicating the name and dates of the LOP course.
2. An official receipt indicating that full payment has been made for the LOP course.

Student Financial Services will be able to confirm your enrollment once we have this information and your OSAP release will proceed accordingly.

Changes to your application

To make changes to your original OSAP application before September, mail your request with the proper supporting documents to:

Student Financial Services
GH 112
University of Guelph-Humber
207 Humber College Blvd
Toronto, ON M9W 5L7
T: 416-798-1331 ext.6256
Fax: 416-798-1048

Changes to your OSAP account can be viewed through your OSAP account online. It takes approximately 48 hours for your OSAP webpage to be updated after we process your request.

Please remember to keep copies of all your loan documents.