Skip to main content

Student ID

Your student ID card allows you to access student services on campus, attend campus events and is required for exams.

This information only applies to first-year students or current students who do not have a University of Guelph-Humber ID card or have never submitted a photo. The ID creation system is used by both the University of Guelph and the University of Guelph-Humber. Please be sure to follow instructions for the University of Guelph-Humber.

New students for Fall 2020

As a precaution against COVID-19, the office is closed and ID cards are not available for pickup.

To create your University of Guelph-Humber student ID card, you will need to complete the following 3 steps:

STEP 1: Submit your photo for your ID Card online 

STEP 2: Upload the required documentation to confirm your identity and citizenship

STEP 3: Confirm your mailing address.  

Details can be found below:

STEP 1: Complete the online photo submission process, which will provide you with step-by-step instructions. You will need your central login information and a photo file to submit electronically. Please ensure your photo meets the requirements below before you submit it online or your photo may be rejected.

Tips for submitting an acceptable photo

  • Set your camera to its lowest resolution. The photo must be less than 1600 x 1200 resolution. The maximum file size is 2 MB.
  • The photo should be taken as a standard portrait.
  • Make sure you are centred in the photo.
  • You must be the ONLY person in the photo.
  • Save the photo in JPG format and name the file according to your seven-digit student ID number (e.g., 0123456.jpg).
  • Blurry images, images with hats and cropped images from group shots are not acceptable.

Photos deemed unacceptable will require re-submission. Student cards with unacceptable photos will not be issued.

Fall 2020 photo submission deadline for student ID card: 31 July 2020

Submitting your photo before 31 July 2020 will ensure your ID is ready for mailing.

STEP 2: uploading documentation confirming your identity and citizenship using WebAdvisor. The University requires proof of identity and citizenship before releasing student ID cards. The number and types of documents required depend on your place of residency and citizenship status.  Please carefully review the criteria to obtain your student ID card.  Once you have determined which documents to upload follow the upload instructions provided below.

Canadian Citizen

If you are a Canadian citizen you will need to provide both proof of your citizenship and identity through one of the following options:

  • Option 1: Your valid Canadian passport
  • Option 2: Both your birth certificate issued by a Canadian jurisdiction and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
  • Option 3: Your Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID

Permanent Resident

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, you will need to provide both proof of your permanent resident status in Canada and identity through one of the following options:

  • Option 1: Your valid Permanent Resident Card and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
  • Option 2: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) and one piece of  valid, government-issued photo ID
  • Option 3: Record of Landing (IMM1000) and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID

First Nations

If you are an individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act, we will accept both the existing Canadian Certificate of Indian Status as well as the new Secure Certificate of Indian Status card (SCIS). The existing laminated cards will still be valid until the expiry date has lapsed.

International Student

If you are an International student, you must have immigration permission to remain in Canada for the length of your studies:

  • Your current (non-Canadian) passport, including a valid study permit is required. 

International students must have a valid study permit that will allow them to study at a post-secondary institution. Students who were in Canada attending a high school must make sure that they obtain a new study permit for the post-secondary level of study. See CIC's information on

This is how to upload your document(s):

  1. Sign into WebAdvisor.
  2. Select "Students" under the "Main Menu" tab on the right side of the screen.
  3. Select "ID Card Verification" under "Registration" on the right side of the screen.
  4. In the table, locate the row with the description "Id Card Verification #1" and click on the "Upload" link for that row (last column on the right).
  5. After reading the information on this page carefully, check off the box for "I understand that I need to confirm my mailing address on WebAdvisor."
  6. Click the "Upload File" button and select your document, or drop your file into the boxed area. You can only submit one document on this page. Files must be smaller than 5MB. Accepted file types are PDF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF and TIFF.
  7. Click the "SUBMIT" button at the bottom of the page.
  8. Click "SUBMIT" in the "Confirm File Upload" window that pops up. The next screen confirms that your document has been successfully uploaded.
  9. If you are required to upload a second document, return to the "ID Card Verification" page, select the "Upload" link for "Id Card Verification #2," and repeat steps 5 to 8.
  10. If you are required to upload a third document, return to the "ID Card Verification" page, select the "Upload" link for "Id Card Verification #3," and repeat steps 5 to 8.

STEP 3 (the final step!): confirming your mailing address. Once you have submitted your photo and the University has received the required documents, your student ID card will be sent to the mailing address we have on file. Exception: students living in on-campus residence will receive their ID card when they arrive at the residence (if they have uploaded their required documents).  Please ensure we have the correct mailing address on file. Sign into WebAdvisor, click on "Students" under "Main Menu" and then click on "Change My Address/Phone Number" under "Personal Info (User Profile)." If you need to change or add a mailing address, see the instructions for Change of Address/Personal Information.   

Please complete all three steps before August 31 because you may need to use your card early in the semester (i.e., to borrow library books or write quizzes).

ID cards will be mailed during the month of August.  If you have not received your ID card by Friday,11 September, 2020 please email

Current students

If you already have a GH student card, please use the existing card as we do not produce another card unless lost, damaged or stolen. Please note, that if this is the case, the University of Guelph Humber uses the existing photo on file as we do not accept new photo ID submissions.

If you have lost or misplaced your card, just fill out an ID Replacement form online.

Please allow 10-15 business days for processing and mailing.