Skip to main content

Graduation FAQs

Student shaking giving a hi-five to SwoopApplying to Graduate

Applying to Graduate

What is the deadline to apply to graduate?

The Application to Graduate is now open on WebAdvisor for students who completed their program requirements in Fall 2018 or expect to complete their program requirements in Winter 2019.

The deadline for applications is Friday, March 1, 2019. Any applications submitted past the deadline will be subject to a $60 processing fee. You can access the application from WebAdvisor. After Friday, March 15, 2019, all applications for graduation must be completed in-person using a paper application at Student Financial Services (GH 112).

Failure to complete this application will affect your ability to graduate.

What does Baccalaureate mean?

On the application to graduate, there is an option for your degree to read as Baccalaureate. This is the Latin term for Bachelor’s degree. These terms mean the same thing. When completing your Application to Graduate on WebAdvisor, please choose one as you would like it to appear on your degree.

I have already submitted my application to graduate but I would like to change my Bachelor/Baccalaureate selection.

If you made a mistake and selected the wrong option, please send an email to with your request to change. Please include your name and Student ID in the email.

What is my academic standing on graduation/how do I find my standing on graduation?

Your standing on graduation is determined by your cumulative average. To find your standing on graduation, log in to WebAdvisor to view your Academic Profile. From there, select Academic Program & Evaluation to review your Profile Sheet. This will clearly outline if you have completed your graduation requirements.

Standing on graduation is noted for graduates from the honours programs as follows:

  • Degree with Distinction: Cumulative average of 80% or higher.
  • Degree with Honours: Cumulative average of 70-79%.
  • Degree with Standing: Cumulative average of less than 70%.

For further questions about this, please contact your Academic Advisor.

What does it mean to be placed on "Financial Sanction"?

Any graduating student who has an outstanding balance at the time of Convocation will be placed on Financial Sanction and will not be issued the official degree or diploma parchment at the Convocation ceremony. Parchments will be withheld until payment is made.

If I am taking my last course(s) in the Summer, can I graduate in June?

If you are taking additional credit courses that are required to complete your degree in the Summer 2019 semester, you will NOT be eligible to graduate in June 2019. You will be eligible to graduate in November 2019.

I’m taking a course at another institution by Letter of Permission. What is the deadline to have my transcripts sent to my Academic Advisor?

The deadline to submit your transcripts to your Academic Advisor is Friday, May 10, 2019.


How will my name be displayed on the parchment?

Your name will be displayed exactly how it is shown on WebAdvisor. For example, if WebAdvisor shows your first, middle and last names, your parchments will reflect the same.

Before submitting your Application to Graduate, please ensure that your name is spelled correctly in WebAdvisor.

Can I change the name that appears on my parchment?

Yes, please complete the Application to Graduate Change Request form and attach two pieces of government ID (i.e. citizenship card, driver’s license, and passport) that show the desired name.  Note that only legal names will be used.  The completed form can be dropped off at Student Financial Services located in GH112 or emailed to All changes must be made prior to Tuesday, April 30, 2019, in order for the request to be reflected on your parchments.

Will my standing on graduation (Honours or Distinction) be noted on my parchment?

No; your standing on graduation will not show on your parchments. It will only show on your transcript documents.

At the Convocation ceremony, only those graduands whose standing is at the Honours and Distinction levels will be indicated in the program; graduands whose standing is at the Distinction level will be announced.

I declared an Area of Emphasis, where and how is that noted?

If your program supports the choice of an Area of Emphasis or Specialty, please complete a Declaration of Area of Emphasis form. The Area of Emphasis or Specialization will be noted on your transcripts.

I need to re-order my parchment(s).

Please contact us at to re-order your parchments.


When will I find out what time my ceremony will take place?

Convocation ceremonies take place Monday, June 17, 2019, at the Pearson Convention Centre, 2638 Steeles Avenue E., Brampton, Ont. Ceremony times are:


  • 10:00 AM - Business & Psychology
  • 1:30 PM - Justice Studies & Kinesiology
  • 4:30 PM - Early Childhood Studies, Family and Community Social Services & Media Studies


If I am unable to attend Convocation, how do I receive my parchments?

Your parchments will be sent to you via mail following the Convocation proceedings, to the address we have on file for you. Make sure this is correct!

I graduated and received my parchments in November 2018 and I wish to attend a Convocation ceremony.

If you graduated in the Fall and plan to attend the June 2019 ceremony, you will need to RSVP to inform us.

This RSVP process is managed through a website called Marching Order. When logged into Marching Order, graduates can also claim their guest tickets. Each graduate is assigned two guest tickets. Graduates do not require a ticket to participate in their ceremony.

For detailed instructions, go to the RSVP & Tickets page.

Do infants that will be attending the Convocation ceremony (but will be seated on an adult's lap) require an additional ticket?

Tickets are issued according to the number of seats available. If an infant (typically under 2 years old) is able to share a seat with an adult, they do not require an additional ticket. If children require a seat, please be sure to have the appropriate number of tickets. Please be prepared to show your tickets if requested by an Usher.

How do I order my gown for Convocation?

Gowns and caps are ordered through a third-party company, Gaspard & Sons. To choose your gown size and place your order, you must register on Gaspard’s website:

Orders placed in the pre-order period (between April 15 and June 1, 2019) will be charged a $30 rental fee. Those who do not pre-order a gown will be required to pay $40 rental fee on event day. Please note, the caps are yours to keep, but the gowns must be returned at the end of the ceremony.


How many guest tickets will each graduating student receive?

Each graduate is assigned two guest tickets. Graduates do not require a ticket to participate in their ceremony.

Graduates must RSVP to claim their two guest tickets. For detailed instructions, go to the RSVP & Tickets page.

Can I request extra guest tickets?

Extra ticket requests will only be accepted between May 6-31, 2019 through our Extra Ticket Request Form. Extra tickets will be allocated via random lottery and recipients will be notified via email. The extra ticket lottery draw will be conducted in the first week of June.

You may request a maximum of four extra tickets per graduate. Extra tickets are NOT guaranteed and the number of tickets available for distribution is dependent on attendance for each ceremony.

Please note that tickets are barcoded and can only be used once.

The ceremony will be broadcast live from the UofGH website for those guests unable to attend.

For detailed instructions about claiming extra guest tickets, go to the RSVP & Tickets page.

Where can I get grad pictures taken?

The Studio Nostalgia photography team has been taking graduation portraits throughout the year. To book an appointment with the photographer, click here (to book appointment).

University of Guelph-Humber students are also able to have their graduation portraits taken at either the North or Lakeshore Humber College campuses. Please indicate that you are a UofGH student at the time of booking.

Composites of each program will also be produced. Be sure to indicate if you want your portrait included in your program’s composite during your appointment.

Who do I contact regarding accessibility requirements?

The Pearson Convention Centre is wheelchair accessible. A ramp is installed on stage to ensure accessibility for all students crossing the stage. Closed Captioning will be available for all ceremonies.

If you are a graduating student and have accessibility needs not mentioned above (e.g. Braille or alternate format parchment/degree, attendant support for stage or seating navigation) for your Convocation ceremony, please complete this form.

If you require accessible seating for your guests or have other accessibility requirements, please complete this form.


Can I take courses after I graduate? If so, does it affect my GPA?

Yes; you can take courses as a Visiting Student following your graduation date. The grades you achieve in these courses will affect your cumulative GPA but it will not change your standing on graduation (Honours or Distinction). To inquire about taking courses as an alumnus, please contact Admissions at

Can I request a copy of my transcript?

Yes; requests for transcripts are handled by the Office of Registrarial Services. More information about how to print or order your transcript can be found here.


I would like to change the address or phone number on my student record.

You can change your address and phone number information through WebAdvisor. The deadline to make changes to your mailing address in order to receive your parchment is Tuesday, April 30, 2019.

How long do I have access to my Gryphmail email address?

Your UofGH Gryphmail email address will expire one year following your graduation date. We recommend you use this time to transfer any information you’d like to keep to a personal email account.

To receive information about alumni events, perks & benefits, and other news, make sure you submit an Alumni Contact Information Update Form with your personal email address.