Skip to main content

Academic Advising – Frequently Asked Questions

General information

What should I bring to my advising appointment?

You should be prepared with a list of the questions/concerns you would like to discuss with your Academic Advisor. You should also bring a copy of your most recent academic evaluation (available from WebAdvisor) and any information that is relevant to the issues you would like to discuss. If your Academic Advisor has requested a meeting, you should be prepared with any materials they have asked you to provide.

Can I take a course at another University and apply it to my Guelph-Humber degree/diploma requirements?

In order to take any courses at another degree-granting institution, students must obtain a Letter of Permission.  Forms should be approved before registering for a course at any other institution. Make sure to submit your request for a Letter of Permission as early as possible, as registration deadlines at each institution may vary.

Academic standing

What is Academic Probation?

Academic probation is the academic standing assigned to students who have not satisfied the program requirements for continuation of study (typically based on the student's cumulative average), but have been given the opportunity to continue in the program for a defined period of time.
Students on academic probation are required to achieve a minimum semester average of 60% to be eligible to continue. Students who do not achieve a minimum semester average of 60% will be assigned a standing of Required to Withdraw.

How will I know if I am on Academic Probation?

You can, and should, monitor your academic standing by reviewing your semester and cumulative average using WebAdvisor. If you are placed on academic probation you will be sent an email informing you of your academic standing. A meeting with your Academic Advisor will follow where students will discuss academic strategies and complete a series of academic success workshops.

How do I get off Academic Probation?

Once you achieved a minimum cumulative average of 60% you will be removed from Academic Probation.

While on Academic Probation am I required to maintain a 60% during the summer semester or while taking part-time classes?

Yes, if you register for a summer semester and are on academic probation you must achieve a minimum semester average of 60% to be allowed to continue. Regardless of how many courses you are taking, you must maintain a 60% semester average.

What happens if I am on Academic Probation and do not receive the minimum semester average required?

If you do not meet the minimum semester average of 60% while on academic probation, you will be required to withdraw from the university for a minimum of two semesters before you will be able to reapply.

What does Required to Withdraw mean?

Required to Withdraw is the academic standing assigned to students who have not satisfied the program requirements for continuation of study by either achieving a 60% semester average to remain on probation or a 60% cumulative average to be eligible to continue.  Students who are required to withdraw may appeal to the Academic Review Sub-Committee for probationary status to be granted. Students should meet with their Academic Advisor to discuss their options. When a student is required to withdraw, they are not able to register at the University of Guelph-Humber for a minimum of two semesters. After the two-semester rustication period has ended, students must re-apply to the university in order to resume their studies by submitting an Application for Readmission to Admissions.

Course selection

How do I know what courses to take each semester?

The program plan for your specific program of study will provide you with a listing of courses offered each semester, as well as the pre-requisites for each course and an overview of the graduation requirements for the course. Remember to select the program plan from the calendar year you started at the University of Guelph-Humber.
View your program plan

Where can I find course descriptions?

Course descriptions are available in the Academic Calendar. Additionally, course outlines are available under “Quicklinks” on the University of Guelph Humber homepage.

I am trying to register for a course but WebAdvisor says that I do not have the pre-requisites, what can I do?

You will need to fill out a Course Waiver Request form and submit it to your Academic Advisor, who will present it to the Program Head for review.  Once the Program Head has made a decision, your Academic Advisor will then notify you if your request has been approved or denied. If approved, your Academic Advisor will register you for the course during the course overload period, provided space is still available.

I want to register for a course but it is full, what can I do?

Once a course has reached capacity, students will no longer be able to register for it. Students are encouraged to select an alternate section. Where an alternate section is not an option, students should select an alternate course. Students who have exhausted all above options are encouraged to see their Academic Advisor. Please note, instructors do not have the authority to assist with course registration. 

The add period has ended but I still need to change my schedule, what can I do?

Course additions and section changes are not allowed beyond the end of the scheduled add period; this is typically the 5th class day of any given semester. For specific dates, please see the Schedule of Dates. If you have extenuating circumstances that have prevented you from adding a full course load prior to the end of the add period, you should speak with your Academic Advisor. Please note, Academic Advisors will not accommodate course/section changes for work schedule conflicts, commuting issues/requests.

The add period has passed and I just realized I have a conflict in my schedule, what can I do?

Students should read the course schedule carefully when planning their courses.  Check your class schedule grid for potential conflicts prior to selecting them on WebAdvisor, as this will help you avoid potential conflicts. If you cannot resolve this conflict, you must see your Academic Advisor who can assist you based on course availability at the time the conflict is discovered.

Am I still able to drop a class after the last day of classes?

The last day of classes is listed in the Schedule of Dates and is the last day students can drop a class without incurring academic penalties. For specific dates, please see the Schedule of Dates. Students wishing to drop a class beyond the last class day are required to fill out a Request for Academic Consideration to request the course be dropped by the 20th class day of the subsequent semester. Making a Request for Academic Consideration does not ensure that the course(s) in question will be dropped. Please meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss and submit your request.

Where can I go for help with WebAdvisor?

WebAdvisor is the tool used by University of Guelph-Humber students to select their courses, print evaluations, access final grades, and pay tuition. Students are encouraged to take the WebAdvisor tutorial in WebAdvisor. The Learning Support Peers are also able to assist students having difficulty using WebAdvisor.

Exams and grades

I have two exams scheduled at the same time. What do I do?

Students who are scheduled to write two exams at the same time must submit an Exam Conflict form immediately. The Exam Conflict form is available in our Student Services office (GH108). Once the form has been submitted, your conflicting exam(s) will be rescheduled and you will be notified of the new date and time via email. All students requiring accommodations for final exams can schedule to write their final exams in the Humber Test Centre. A two week notice is strongly recommended for all exam scheduled in the Humber Test Centre.

What constitutes an exam conflict?

Any one of the following constitutes an exam conflict:

  1. Two exams at the same time.
  2. LESS than one hour (59 minutes or less) between exams.
  3. Observing a religious holiday on an exam day.
  4. Three exams in one calendar day.

I missed one (or more) of my final exams, what do I do now?

Students who miss scheduled final examinations must submit a Request for Academic Consideration in order to be granted permission to write during the deferred examination period. Academic consideration is granted on documented medical, psychological, or compassionate grounds. All requests for consideration must be submitted to your Academic Advisor and will be reviewed by the Academic Review Sub-committee.All rescheduled exams will be written during the scheduled deferred examination period in the following semester. Deferred exam period dates are listed in the Schedule of Dates.

Upcoming Academic Consideration Dates

Winter 2024

  • Friday, January 12, 2024 9-11AM  
  • Tuesday, February 13, 2024 9-11AM  
  • Wednesday, March 6, 2024 9-11AM  
  • Wednesday April 3, 2024 9-11 AM  
  • Tuesday, April 23, 2024 9-11AM  

Fall 2023

  • Wednesday, September 13, 2023  
  • Tuesday, October 17 2023  
  • Wednesday, November 1, 2023  
  • Wednesday, December 6, 2023  
  • Wednesday, December 20, 2023

How can I have my final grade reassessed?

Students normally initiate a request for a grade re-assessment by contacting the instructor of the course in question within the first 10 class days of the following semester for coursework and within the first 5 class days of the following semester for the reassessment of a final exam. A grade re-assessment is the process of reviewing the calculation of grades, or the methods and criteria used to establish final grades for a student in a course or misapplication of an academic regulation. The outcome of a grade re-assessment may be a grade increase, a grade decrease, or no change to the grade. The detection of errors or omissions in the calculation of final grades will result in the assignment of a revised grade. If you are unable to contact the course instructor, please see your Academic Advisor.

What does MNR mean on WebAdvisor?

If you see a grade of MNR/INC, we are still waiting to receive final grade information from the course instructor. Please contact your instructor and Academic Advisor for further information.

Support services

I have a learning/physical/medical disability, what services can I access?

The Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre is available to assist students with disabilities in their academic pursuits. They provide accommodation for any learning, physical, or psychological disability. Services include assistive technology, note takers, administering midterms and final exams, etc.

I'm having a hard time coping with school and other stressors in my life. Who can I talk to?

It would be advisable to see your Academic Advisor as soon as possible, as they can assist by providing students with academic guidance in dealing with your studies and refer students to appropriate on campus resources. Professional counselling is also available free of charge in a private and confidential setting through the Student Wellness and Accessibilities Centre.

What do I do if I get sick while in school?

Medical and nursing assistance is available on campus. Every weekday, experienced nurses are on duty at Health Services, located on the 2nd floor of the LRC. Physicians are available by appointment during the week. All full-time University of Guelph-Humber students are automatically covered by the Ignite Health and Dental Insurance Plan.

If you fall ill during the course of the semester resulting in a missed assignment or midterm, you must advise the appropriate instructor immediately. You will also need to provide a doctor's note to support your illness (Please note that specific diagnosis is not required as per Human Rights).

If you fall ill during final exams, you must let your Academic Advisor know immediately. You will be asked to fill out a Request for Academic Consideration form and provide  a letter of support explaining your absence as well as a doctor's note (Please note that specific diagnosis is not required as per Human Rights).

I am having a hard time transitioning into University. Who can I talk to?

Your Academic Advisor should be your first point of contact.  Academic Advisors are here to assist you with your academics and refer you to helpful resources on campus to ease your transition to university life.  Aside from your Academic Advisor, Learning Support Peers (LSPs) are senior students who are available to assist students with their transition throughout university. LSPs can assist you in planning your semester and provide valuable academic success workshops on topics including time management, exam preparation, memory strategies and more.

I am having trouble writing a paper. Is there a place where I can go for help?

The Writing Centre provides support with essay writing and thesis development. Students wishing to improve their writing skills are invited to drop in for one-on-one help. Whether you need to work on the finer points of grammar, research strategies or argumentation techniques, you can visit the Writing Centre and receive clear and personalized instruction. Please note that the centre does not proofread completed assignments to be submitted, but will be happy to show students how to proofread. Research support is also available with Library Services located on the 2nd floor of the University of Guelph-Humber building.

I am having a hard time with my math related courses, where can I go for help?

The Math Centre offers assistance with calculus and statistics and for those students whose class work has shown their mathematics skills to be weak.
The Accounting Centre assists students with accounting related questions. Students may drop in any time for specific help, or they may come on a regular basis to work on a program designed to meet their individual needs.