Skip to main content

Degree Completion program now available to social service workers

Earn an Honours Bachelor of Applied Science in Family & Community Social Services, granted by the University of Guelph

A new part-time program coming to UofGH will allow you to complete your degree, part-time, while working.

Get your degree while working.

Everything about this program is designed to fit the life of an established professional.  That’s why courses are offered in what we call a hybrid format – meaning a mix of online and face-to-face classes.

It works like this:  the entire program is designed to take 2.5 years to complete.  It starts in September, and runs for eight consecutive semesters.  Need more time?  Our program is flexible, so that you may choose to spread our your courses over a longer period, if necessary.

Study with others who share your level of knowledge and experience.

Learn with like-minded people.  You’ve acquired several years of experience, knowledge and skills – and so has everyone in your class.

Learn from faculty who know the field because they work in it, too.

Our FCSS faculty aren’t just professors – they’re working in the field every day.  They teach you an evidence-based curriculum that’s meaningful and focused on what’s current because they are a part of the changing landscape.  And because of our small classes, you’ll get personal attention from these academic and field experts during and after class.

What is required for admission?

Applications for Fall 2015 entry must be received on or before May 1, 2015.

You'll need the following to be considered for admission:

  • A Social Service Worker diploma granted by a recognized institution
  • A minimum of three years work experience in the field of social work
  • Completion of the Professional Portfolio including:
    • Current detailed resume
    • Two (2) references (preferably one academic and one employment)
    • Completion of a professional philosophy statement incorporating key areas of learning and growth from prior educational and work experience

Required Documents

You must submit your official transcripts and portfolio by June 1, 2015.

Official transcripts

All official college/university transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope from the originating institution(s).


Your professional portfolio provides information about your background in early childhood, including a detailed resume, letters of reference and a professional philosophy statement for your Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)).

Portfolio guidelines

You must complete a portfolio to demonstrate your prior learning and professional experience. You can request the guidelines in an alternate format. Credit may be awarded towards your degree based on your PLAR.  An official transfer credit assessment will be included with your offer of admission.

Sending your documents

You must send your official transcripts, portfolio and any additional required documents to:

University of Guelph-Humber
Admission Services, GH108
207 Humber College Blvd.
Toronto, ON M9W 5L7

Email or call us for more information:
416.798.1331 ext. 6389