Skip to main content

International Applicant: FAQs

Updates for Admitted International Students 

Updated July 15, 2021

Admission updates for applicants who have received an Offer of Admission:

Offer conditions for International Education Systems

The global impact on school systems, examining boards and international curricula around the world means that the University of Guelph-Humber's admissions team will adapt our evaluating and assessment methods to work with what is possible in your area of the world or for your curriculum type. We will accept adjusted assessment methods as determined by the school system, examining boards or international curriculum provider in order to meet our conditions.

In the event that your schooling type is unable to send us final transcripts or exam results by the document deadline, we will consider the documents submitted to date as final and as meeting offer conditions. If you anticipate receiving your graduating document after our final document deadline of August 13, 2021 and have not received an October 1, 2021 deadline extension letter, please contact Ritu Mathur, Manager Admissions at to book a Microsoft Teams appointment.

Below is a brief outline of the international admission practices for "affected students"*

Please note, these practices are constantly being reviewed and may change as we learn more.

*"Affected students" are any students currently studying in a country where schools/colleges/universities/testing sites have been closed due to the COVID-19 virus. Please see full list provided by UK NARIC.

New 2021 changes to the International Student Entrance Scholarship eligibility and renewability

Scholarships for international students entering postsecondary studies for the first time and registering in the first semester of a degree program in the fall (starting 2021) are now eligible to receive a renewable scholarship!

Our new International Student Entrance Scholarship provides qualifying students with CAD 2,000 to 8,500 in their first year of study with the potential for the scholarship to continue to award CAD 4,000 for each of the three following years of study if all renewal criteria are met each year.

Your scholarship award will be posted to your WebAdvisor account after July 15, 2021 for the fall semester and once final documents have been received. Starting in fall 2021, international transfer students will now be eligible for the Transfer Student Entrance Scholarship. Visit the Student Financial Services webpage for more details.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will COVID-19 affect classes starting in September? 

Closely following public health guidelines and government regulations, we are currently planning a vibrant on-campus experience this fall with a substantial proportion of our courses to be offered face-to-face. The University of Guelph-Humber will be offering Fall 2021 courses in four delivery methods: In-Person, Hyflex, Alternate Delivery, and Distance. For information related to course selection and delivery methods, please reference Course Selection & WebAdvisor.

If public health and government regulations change, and/or there is mandated continued social distancing as the fall semester nears, we will adapt our plans accordingly, always keeping safety as our top priority.

My school has closed, and I can't send my transcript(s) to the University of Guelph-Humber?

Please inform us in writing of your situation and list which courses you were finishing in your final year, and ensure that we receive all of the relevant documents (officially or unofficially) that you have access to. Admission consideration may be made on earlier years coupled with a list of specific final year required courses and conditions. If you are eligible for admission, official documents will be required by August 13, 2021 or a deadline specified in your Offer of Admission.

There is a travel advisory for my country. What should I do?

Please keep us informed by emailing Ritu Mathur, Manager Admissions at and including the details of your particular situation, your full name and UofGH Student ID.

You will find your University of Guelph-Humber Student ID in your offer letter. It will be a 7-digit number (e.g., 0123456).

Do I have to quarantine when I arrive in Canada?

Disclaimers: Please check the Government of Canada's website for the most up-to-date information about travel exemptions and restrictions for international students. Needing a quarantine plan is only one of multiple eligibility criteria for entry to Canada. There are a number of essential steps required to enter Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic. Failure to follow these steps could result in fines, penalties, or being denied entry to Canada. 

Fall 2021 semester arrivals: At this point in time, when you arrive in Canada, you must quarantine unless you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Learn more about exemptions and eligibility requirements for travelers on the Government of Canada website.

All international students attending the University of Guelph-Humber who will be entering Canada are required to register their travel plans via the University of Guelph's Mandatory Quarantine Program (MQP). Registration in the MQP allows students to receive documentation proving that an adequate quarantine plan is in place, a requirement of all travelers entering Canada. 

You have two options under the MQP: 1) Safe Study Corridor quarantine, which helps you find accommodation packages in Toronto-area hotels that meet government requirements and are flexible to suit student travel plans. 2) Arrange your own off-campus quarantine accommodations, provided they meet MQP requirements and federal guidelines for appropriate quarantine accommodation. 

Can I defer my offer if I cannot travel in September?

You can defer your offer for one year. You will be required to accept your Offer of Admission prior to the response deadline as outlined in your offer letter and apply for a deferral by July 30, 2021. The deferral application will be made available through WebAdvisor on June 1.

How is on-campus housing affected by COVID-19?

The number of students living in on-campus housing (residence) will substantially decrease to accommodate physical distancing. We encourage you to apply for residence as soon as possible. It can take a few days for the multi-step application process. The deadline to apply to residence is June 1, 2021.

For assistance with off-campus housing, we recommend you check Humber's Off-campus Life page.

If you need to cancel your residence application, please visit Humber’s Residence webpage for more details on the circumstances under which a refund is possible.

Where can I find out about registering for classes?

Helpful information will be available in the New Student Guide

Will I receive a refund if I begin classes online in September but do not receive my study permit?

There are two options for students in this situation. 1) A full refund is granted but your academic record at the university is deleted. 2) No refund but you can retain your academic record at the University of Guelph-Humber for possible use in the future either at the University of Guelph-Humber or as transfer credit to another institution. Please connect with Student Financial Services for further details regarding your refund.

Who do I contact for assistance with my immigration or study permit into Canada?

If you have any questions or concerns in regards to your travel plans or Canadian immigration processes and requirements, please reach out to the University of Guelph’s International Student Advisors before moving forward with your arrangements. They can be reached at

Do I need a vaccine to travel to Canada? Can I get one when I arrive?

At the moment there are no vaccine requirements to access campus or study in-person. International students will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccinations based on the same rollout as Canadians. However, this is subject to change. For more information, please visit the Ontario Government's webpage.

Can I get a refund if my study permit is denied?

If your study permit is denied by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you may be eligible for a refund of your tuition and fees. You must request a refund, drop your courses through WebAdvisor and forward a copy (PDF) of your IRCC denial letter to This request must be received within 14 days of the denial letter date, otherwise, a refund will be denied. Please connect with Student Financial Services for further details.

What are the fall 2021/winter 2022 tuition fees for my degree?

Incoming international students are encouraged to visit Student Financial Services for a full listing of international tuition and fees, and financial assistance options. Student financial accounts are viewable on WebAdvisor for the current and previous semesters only. Billing is based on course registration by semester. Official billing for the fall 2021 semester will not be posted until the end of July, however payments can be accepted via international transfer or bank transfer from a Canadian banking institution prior to that date.

More information on how to make payment can be found on the Method of Payment webpage. Please note, full tuition payments for the academic year can be made, however only semester tuition payment amounts are reflected on WebAdvisor. More information can be found in the New Student Guide.